Chicken Tarragon with AlmondsPublished on 25 Feb 2013
One of my favourite dishes is this relatively simple and very tasty chicken dish, which was also a favourite from my childhood. The original recipe came from my father and I’ve since made it my own –where he got it I can’t recall, but that is the beauty of recipes. 😀
|4 lb||chicken thighs or legs||10-12 pieces|
|1 tablespoon||olive oil||–|
|1/4 cup||dry sherry or dry white wine||–|
|1/4 cup||all-purpose flour||–|
|2 tablespoons||tomato paste||–|
|2 cups||chicken stock||–|
|1 teaspoon||dried tarragon||–|
|1/4 cup||chopped almonds||–|
|1/3 cup||Parmesan cheese||freshly grated|
|–||salt & pepper||to taste|
|1/4 cup||sour cream||–|
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a deep oven-proof casserole pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Next add olive oil to the pan plus the onion and garlic. Sauté while scraping the browned chicken bits from the pan.
- Add the sherry (or wine), flour and tomato paste. Whisk to combine.
- Pour in the stock, whisking thoroughly as you do.
- Add the almonds, tarragon & Parmesan cheese and bring to a boil.
- Season with salt & pepper, to taste.
- Return the chicken parts. Cover and braise in the oven for at least 1 hour.
- Before serving, stir in the sour cream.