Cucumber TzatzikiPublished on 13 Jan 2014
Tzatziki is a cool and creamy cucumber condiment, with a little tanginess. I use it to frequently accompany grilled meats and veg(-etables) –or when I’m in the mood for Greek.
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed & minced
- 1 cup plain greek yoghurt
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tablespoon dill, mint or parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt & pepper, to taste
- Seed and chop the cucumber. You may peel it as well, but I like to leave the skin in for added crunch and colour.
- Place chopped cucumber in a bowl, and add the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice chopped herbs and liberally season with salt & pepper.
- Stir, cover and marinate for 10-15 minutes –*during this the salt will draw some of water of the cucumber.
- We want to remove as much excess liquid as possible from the ingredients as not to have too runny of end result.
- Pour off the excess liquid from the cucumber mixture (or strain with fine mesh strainer).
- Stir in the yoghurt and re-cover and refridgerate until use.