Umami-BurgersPublished on 28 Nov 2013
The burger, a classic but since I like to play around with flavours and ingredients in the kitchen to improve recipes I’ve added a few couple atypical ingredients to my hamburger mix recipe.
To enchance the “meatiness” of my burgers I add both dried mushroom and fish sauce since they are umami boosters. Also, the mushroom adds a bit of earthiness taste and fish sauce is a good salt-alternative.
|600 g||ground beef||or 300 g each ground beef & pork|
|2 large||dried brown mushrooms||–|
|1/8 teaspoon||ground nutmeg||–|
|2 teaspoons||Worcestershire sauce||–|
|1 teaspoon||olive oil||–|
|1/4 teaspoon||fish sauce||–|
|1/2 teaspoon||ground black pepper||–|
|1/4 teaspoon||chili flakes||–|
- Using a spice grinder, grind the dried mushrooms into a fine powder
- Combine the, onion, garlic, Worcestershire, fish sauce, oil & ketchup in a small bowl.
- Add the salt, pepper, chili and dried mushroom powder. Mix into a paste.
- Mix the ground pork and beef together with the paste in a large bowl.
- Form the meat mixture into desired number & size of patties –1/2 a cup of mince makes a nice sized patty in my opinion
- Refrigerate until use.
My preferred way to cook the patties (if it’s not outdoor-grill-season) is to use a heavy cast-iron skillet, searing/browning the patties in it when it’s quite hot for about 2-3 minutes a side.