Chili Con Carne BurgerPosted on 18 Apr 2013
In being experimental with flavours in the kitchen –usually to good result– I devised this chili con carne burger recipe. Which is simply an adaptation of my chili recipe to burger form.
|500 g (1 lb)||ground beef|
|250 g (½ lb)||ground pork|
|2 cloves||garlic, minced|
|2||jalapeño peppers, finely chopped|
|1 teaspoon||chili powder|
|1 teaspoon||dried oregano|
|½ teaspoon||kosher salt|
|½ teaspoon||black pepper|
|¼ teaspoon||ancho chili powder (optional)|
|¼ teaspoon||cayenne pepper (optional)|
- In a small bowl combine the salt and spices.
- In a large bowl combine the beef, pork, egg, onion and garlic –stand mixer works wonders here.
- Add the spice mélange and mix thoroughly.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes
- When ready, take the meat out and portion it for patty formation –about ½ a cup makes a nice sized patty.
- Let the patties come towards room temperature before cooking.
My preferred to cook burgers (if it’s not outdoor-grill-season) is to use a heavy cast-iron skillet (preheating over medium-high heat, prior to adding butter (yes) and the patties) then searing/browning the patties for about 4-5 minutes a side.