Quick Chocolate MoussePosted on 13 May 2018
|Yield||1 liter mousse|
|Total Time||10-15 minutes|
|Equipment||2 large bowls, 1 microwave-safe bowl, whisk or electric beater, spatula|
This quick, no-bake chocolate mousse recipe is one I have up my sleeve if I want to make a tasty dessert in a short amount of time. Essentially, this mousse is whipped cream and meringue folded together with melted chocolate.
These amounts are an approximation as I tend to make this recipe by hand, eyeballing ingredients.
|½ cup||heavy cream||—|
|1 cup||semi-sweet chocolate||I prefer to use darker chocolate, but you can use milk chocolate here instead.|
|¼ cup||butter (unsalted)||—|
|1 pinch||salt (optional)||—|
- Using your whisk and human-power (or an electric beater), beat the heavy cream and sugar together in a large bowl until it has formed stiff, whipped cream.
- Clean your whisk (or beater) and beat the egg white in another large bowl until stiff-peaks have formed.
- Place the chocolate and butter in the heatproof bowl and microwave for 60-90 seconds until the butter has melted and the chocolate has softened. Stir together until smooth.
- While still warm, add the egg yolk to the chocolate mixture and stir until smooth. (You can add a pinch of salt here if you like, especially if unsalted butter.)
- Add about a third of the whipped cream to the chocolate mixture and fold in to temper.
- Add the rest of the whipped cream and the egg white and, using a spatula, gently fold into the chocolate until well incorporated.
- Cover and place in refrigerator to set for at least 10 minutes before serving.