Posted on 18 Apr 2013
||dry pinto beans
||olive oil (or bacon fat)
||cheddar cheese, grated
||salt & pepper
- Rinse the dry beans with cold water.
- Place in a large bowl with the 6 cups of water. Lest rest overnight.
- Having done that, dump the beans and their liquid into a pot, add salt and bring to a boil.
- Cover & reduce the heat.
- Let simmer for 2-2.5 hours –if the liquid drops below the beans add more water.
- Remove and drain the beans, reserving the cooking liquid.
- In your still hot pot add the oil (or fat) along with the onions, jalapeños and garlic.
- Sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Return the beans to the pot along with ~1 cup of their cooking liquid.
- Using a potato masher, mash the beans.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese and serve.